09-24-2007, 04:42 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67
cottonking selects G Tony Esposito and LW Busher Jackson
Thanks for making the pick for me...

Really like Jackson as a first-line goal scorer ... bold and assertive and just wicked talented. Trottier will be a great passer / playmaker at center and will provide the service Kurri and Jackson were used to. Kurri's defense will give Jackson a bit of freedom to be Jackson.

Quote:
Jackson signed with the Leafs in 1929, joining his Marlie teammate Charlie Conacher, who'd turned pro just a few games before him. At 18, Jackson was the youngest player in the league, but he was brash and confident. In his first game - he knocked down his idol Howie Morenz. From the ice, Morenz offered his opinion of the awestruck newcomer: "You'll do."

Handsome with a quick smile, Busher got his nickname when he was injured and the team's trainer, Tim Daly, asked him to carry sticks, as was the tradition. "I'm not here to carry sticks. I'm here to play hockey," replied Jackson.
Esposito's playoff mistakes (like everybody's playoff mistakes) are overrated ... one of only 4 keepers to win the Calder / Vezina combo ... three Vezinas total ... 1st/2nd team all-star 1970, '72, '73, '74, '80 ... 15 shutouts in one season ... and he catches righty, which gives shooters a little different look.

Last edited by ck26; 09-24-2007 at 04:49 PM..