View Single Post
Old
03-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Park #2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Umberger arrives. R.J. Umberger, the 21-year-old center acquired from the Canucks in the Martin Rucinsky deal, joined the team and will practice with the Rangers this week. Umberger, the 16th pick in the 2001 draft, will become an unrestricted free agent if the Rangers do not sign him before June 1. His agent, Brian Lawton, said discussions on a contract with the Rangers have not progressed, but Umberger said after Monday night's game that he is hopeful to sign.

This is probably one of the best places in the NHL right now where young guys can come and play," said the 6-2, 210-pound Pittsburgh native, who may join Hartford on a tryout contract next week.

Didn't your sources inform you Umberger has joined the Rangers?
As I said last night, Umberger and his people were VERY quiet and not talking to anyone from Thursday of last week through my post. I said I thought this was odd considering his comments on Wed about the Rangers. Additionally, I said last a few days back that Sather had thrown this "Tryout" contract into the mix AFTER the trade was made. Lawton/Umberger had no inclination about this on Deadline day.

Finally, in all my posts on this subject, I did say I would be surprised if he wasn't with the team within a week of deadline day. I was surprised it lasted this long. That said, it does give some weight to the first "theory" that i heard yesterday that Sather/Burke had an agreement that if he was to be signed, it couldn't be for a 10-14 days until after the trade was made.

I am not Glen Sather - I cannot explain the rationale behind some actions. All I can add are things that I hear - which sometimes are just the opinions of those who might know, othertimes they are facts.