Thread: Chris Higgins?
View Single Post
Old
03-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
It has been an incredible transformation Perezhogin's made from training camp and the early goings of the season to now. Even last month Perezhogin was a little timid around the net and took the shot from the perimeter rather than driving the net.

Now Perezhogin's making the extra move, taking some abuse and driving the net with the puck; dancing around defensemen and has become the catalyst on his line (with Plekanec, who he's developed tremendous chemistry with).

I would not say Higgins, Hossa and Perezhogin are the most well-rounded prospects Montreal has in Hamilton. In my opinion, Plekanec's a good deal better than Hossa right now, and certainly more consistent. Hossa's going to the high slot a little more which is where he's getting his points from, but he's not driving the net with the puck. That's what he needs to do in order to be successful.

Hossa also tends to stick to the sideboards all too often. He plays like a small man trapped in a large body. He protects the puck well along the boards but doesn't use that size to then move the puck; he simply protects it and waits for a linemate to come by to do something with the puck.

Plekanec and Perezhogin are dominant right now. They're so quick, shifty, intelligent with excellent offensive capabilities. Plekanec's a little more polished than Perezhogin; more able to cope with the physical parts of the game, and defensively more reliable.

One thing that worries me about Perezhogin is he falls awkwardly--similar to Koivu. Every time he falls it looks like he's twisted his knee and occasionally he'll favour his knee as though he's hurt it. It hasn't seemed to affect his speed or shiftiness though, but it is worrisome.