View Single Post
Old
03-17-2004, 01:18 PM
ArtVandelay

vCash: 500
Don LaGreca's Rant

Did anyone hear Don LaGreca's rant on 1050 ESPN Radio on Saturday morning? He really gave it to all the ignorant reporters who have condemned hockey and have even gone on to say the NHL should go away due to the violence. I thought it was some of the best radio I've heard in a long time.

His basic premise was that the Bertuzzi incident has caused many in the media who simply don't like and/or know the sport to cite it (the incident) as an example of what is wrong with the sport. Very similar stuff to what someone else posted about in letter to Jim Ryan on "Good Day New York". However, he took it many steps further in noting that of the athletes in the 4 major sports, hockey players are the only ones he'd ever trust "to watch his children". He said that in all the major sports, hockey players are the nicest, most down-to-earth people and that the runner-up isn't even close. He said that there's similar violence in EVERY sport and that at least hockey's record books aren't filled with question marks due to the possibility of steroid use - did anyone look at Wayne Gretzky when he scored 92 goals and say, "it looks like he might be using strength enhancing drugs"?

He went on for a good 15 minutes before I really had to get out of my car, but I wish I'd heard the rest and if I could've taped it, it would've been great.