Thread: Ryan O'Byrne
View Single Post
Old
03-17-2004, 05:00 PM
db23

vCash: 500
I only saw Korneev at the WJC, but even though he was the smallest Russian defender, he was probably the most physical. I didn't see him lose many battles along the boards. When they drafted Markov, he was 19, and listed at 6-0, 185 pounds. For that matter, Vladimir Konstantinov, one of the toughest defenceman ever in the NHL, was listed at 5-11, 176 when drafted, the exact size that Korneev was originally listed at. Some players grow more than others in the years following their draft, but it is usually safe to say that most add 15 to 20 pounds. Chris Chelios was under 200 pounds for most of his career. I could see Korneev being the size of Chelios within a couple of years.

Montreal, on the IIHF U18 rostor from 2 years ago, Korneev was listed at 181 Cm and 80 Kg. That converts to 5-11 1/2 inches tall, and 177 pounds. You have him LOSING 2 INCHES in height and 7 pounds over the past 2 years. That is wrong, and if anything, he has probably grown an inch and put on 10 or 15 pounds over the past 2 years. The IIHF measurements are usually pretty accurate, but they often use the same measurements for a particular player for the whole of his international career. I would be really surprised if Korneev showed up in camp next year at anything less than 6-0 and 190 pounds. If the kid is tough, which Korneev appears to be, and skilled which he certainly is, that is enough.

Last edited by db23: 03-17-2004 at 05:14 PM.