Thread: I suck
View Single Post
Old
10-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Hank19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveThreeEmptyNet View Post
Hank, I am badly out of shape (see "Stamina" thread), unless - as Charles Barkley pointed out in 1984, "round is a shape!"

Hadn't seen the inside of a rink in 15 years. Like you, my son has an interest. (Amazing, really. My mom 1500 miles away kept old jerseys and trophies. He also saw my best friend's kids were playing. Other than that, NO exposure.) Because I was getting bored taking him to the public skate this spring, I decided to make a comeback and join the rink's infant 35+ league.

I had no idea what to expect. My first game, despite weighing seventy pounds more than my HS weight, I had a hat trick a few minutes into the second period. I was loving it!

I'm very competitive. Once the puck drops, I go hard. When I was a kid that was considered a GOOD thing. Some guys aren't as serious as I am. One guy was like me times ten. He said it best, "as long as they keep track of the score I'm gonna play to win."

I think the true 'recreational' stuff is at the lunchtime Open Hockey session. Our games have jerseys, refs that make $30 or 40, and goaltenders. I don't cry if we lose, but I do look forward to the games and I do hope we win. And on the ice I do whatever I can to see that it happens, although I do tire easily now!! I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

One of the guys on my team rents ice weekly and has a purely recreational scrimmage. No positions, no clock, no refs. I've skated with him twice and I try all sorts of stuff I'd never do in a 'real' game.

Hey, I know I'm no good. We hit the teen years and a lot of guys passed me by physically. Nobody loved it more than me, though, so it has been enjoyable to play again. When I moved I figured I'd never see hockey again. (There weren't (m)any rinks here fifteen years ago.)

Sounds to me like you'll find the appropriate forum for your game. You'll enjoy it more when you do.
Thanks. I hope I do too. The problem around my area is getting quality ice time. Most leagues don't start their games until 10:00 pm with the arena being at least 30 minutes away. That might not seem like a big deal but I already drive close to 3 hours a day to and from work. I love hockey, but I hate driving more.

Anyway, last nights game went well enough that I might stick it out. We lost 6-5 after being up 4-1 and 5-2, but penalties killed us as they scored 4 PP goals in a row. I had fun and most of the guys didn't seem to carry the weight of the loss too long. By the time most of us had our skates off we were already cracking beers and joking around about how we blew that lead.

I'm still going to keep my ears open for a different, more-suitable league for me, but until then I'm going to have the attitude of 'I don't give an F'. I'll go out and try my hardest but if we lose or I make a lot of mistakes I'm not going to dwell on it.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote