View Single Post
Old
03-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Rattrick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg7
Roloson faces less quality chances per shot than Luongo. Same goes for Brodeur. S% doesn't mean much without looking closer, just like +/-. Roloson and Brodeur both sit behind excellent defenses that allow very few odd man rushes or point blank shots. Most of Brodeur's and Roloson's saves come on outside shots, and both have good rebound control, and their team collapses on the net so if there is a rebound, it is difficult to capatalize on anyways. Luongo gets the opposite. A terrible defensive team that allows not only a ton of shots, but also a ton of quality scoring chances among those shots. This is why, to me, Luongo is in the top few goaltenders in the league.

Having said that, the point about facing a lot of shots being preferable to facing few shots is very valid. Goaltenders definitely tend to play better when faced with a ton of shots. I also agree that Roloson is very underrated and should be considered among the best goalies in the league. But, with Brodeur's play falling off of late, the Vezina goes to Luongo, in my opinion.
I agree 100%. You really have to watch Luongo at least 10 times this year to see how much he dominates games. He just takes control by himself on many nights.