View Single Post
Old
03-18-2004, 04:56 PM
MotownMadman

vCash: 500
While I would personally mind an all Canadian final (because it would mean that Detroit wasn't in it), I don't think it would necessarily be bad for the game. Watching the Canucks battle the Leafs or the Flames and the Sens soar across the ice for up to 7 games would be great to watch. The networks would just have to hype it more in the U.S., but if the games are interesting, I think people would watch.

Consider last year. Jersey and Anaheim are both decent markets, but when people tuned in they mostly saw a bunch of grown men shooting a puck across the ice to no one or hanging all over each other like it was the St. Pat's day parade. It was hard enough for me to keep from flipping channels and so I doubt many people who weren't regular hockey fans kept tuning in to watch. Now, if you have an exciting game between two teams that most Americans couldn't find on a map an American may be less likely to tune in but more likely to watch the whole series and become interested. And maybe even tune in to a few games the next season.