View Single Post
Old
03-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Malefic74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCheetah
I think part of the problem is the avg american will never truely embrace the game because it's not an indiginous American sport and the fact that they are not dominant when it comes to the nationalities of the players. It's a kind of "I'm going to take my ball and go home" thing.
I disagree. Generating a fan base is not an overnight process. It takes time. Yet now all of a sudden we expect teams in new markets to draw numbers like a bingo caller on speed? It doesn't work that way.

It was often heard in the late 60s that the average citizen of Philadelphia (home of the Phillies, Eagles and 76ers) would never truly embrace the game or the Flyers. Time has proven otherwise. Ditto for St. Louis. Pittsburgh. Buffalo. Long Island. Denver. Minnesota. And yet every single one of those cities went through the growing pains that are affecting Tampa Bay, Florida, San Jose and Phoenix. So if it took those places 5 to 15 years to get their fan base and get their teams on to the first page of the sports section, why not extend the benefit of the doubt to the Sun Belt expansion cities. Anything less would be hypocritical in the extreme.