View Single Post
Old
03-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Sotnos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
It was often heard in the late 60s that the average citizen of Philadelphia (home of the Phillies, Eagles and 76ers) would never truly embrace the game or the Flyers. Time has proven otherwise. Ditto for St. Louis. Pittsburgh. Buffalo. Long Island. Denver. Minnesota. And yet every single one of those cities went through the growing pains that are affecting Tampa Bay, Florida, San Jose and Phoenix. So if it took those places 5 to 15 years to get their fan base and get their teams on to the first page of the sports section, why not extend the benefit of the doubt to the Sun Belt expansion cities. Anything less would be hypocritical in the extreme.
Judging from the amount of "contraction" threads we have here which always name sunbelt teams, I guess we have a lot of hypocrites around here.

Very well said.

In answer to the original question, I think an all-Canadian final would draw the same interest that last year's final did. If it's not one of the "big" American teams (Colorado, Detroit, etc. the ones who get all the ESPN exposure), the casual fan/non-hockey fan probably won't tune in. That's the way it is right now, unfortunately.

I disagree with the idea that Americans only want to see American athletes, I don't know anyone who feels that way, that's a myth perpetuated by non-Americans IMO, and I've never seen any type of study on it. If that were true, baseballs' numbers would be 10 times worse than they are now, yet some of the most popular MLB players aren't U.S. born.