View Single Post
Old
03-18-2004, 07:21 PM
CHareth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
For your information, Finland have the highest rate of suicide in the world. High rate in depression, alcolic and drugs problems. It's mainly because they keep their emotions for themselves, they almost never expresses their angryness or joy. Showing emotions is considered as childish or a lack of self-control in their culture. Finlanders are the most flegmatic people on earth. Getting angry or laughing loud is more taboo for them than sex.

That's why they “implose by inside” in psychology terms when they face an emotion they can't handle. The total opposite of Italians. When a bus stop (mecanic failure) nobody complain, they go out quietly and push the bus to the garage, when an car accident happens, they don't argue or get angry, they exchange their phone number politely. If you do travel in Finland, you'll find a very clean and quiet country with polite and respectous people.

Are you saying that Sax have a different mind from the rest of his cultural background?
Do you feel that Sax is emotional like an italian or a quebeker?
Holy ethnic stereotypes, Batman! You've managed to generalize Finns, Italians and Quebekers as all relatively homogeneous groups. That's impressive. As for Saku being emotional, I say hell yes. The way he celebrates when a big goal is scored (look at Thomas the poster's avatar), the way he throws a check when he's trying to pump up the team (ask Vasicek, among others), the way he publicly admitted how scared he was when he was first diagnosed with cancer (sorry I can't find the article). I would not say he fits the mold of your stereotypical Finn who keeps everything to himself.

Going back to the thread, I still don't understand why people feel the need to debate "ifs" so much - if X didn't happen, or if Y happened, then Saku would be among the top yadda yadda who cares. I was never a huge Saku fan in the beginning of his NHL career, but I have come to appreciate what a special player he is. He leads on the ice, he's consistent, he doesn't get into drawn out contract disputes, he doesn't whine to refs or the media, he learns how to evolve his game as his body ages and wears down with so many injuries. So if he isn't in the top whatever in scoring, who cares? He doesn't seem to be bothered by it (unless he's keeping that lust for personal stats and honorific labels to himself together with all those other mysterious inner demons), so why should I or anyone else?