View Single Post
Old
03-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Mike, according to nhlpa.com, Sunny makes 1.95M now, so he'll need to be quallified at 2.145M next year. Ouch that's a lot, but I agree he's a good netural zone player and a good role player. Tough call there since I can't see Juneau playing in the NHL with his back giving him trouble and this has been Dackell's worst season offensively by far. It will be interesting to see what Gainey does over the summer. I'd rather see Begin Dowd Ward as our 3rd line next year.
Question...

I remember reading in the CBA that a team does not need to qualify a player who makes above average league salary 110% of their salary, but rather 100%. Meaning if Sundstrom's $1.95m salary is above average league salary, the qualifying offer for him would be $1.95m

Is this right, or am I remembering things incorrectly? It's been awhile, so I'm not certain.

I like Begin, Dowd and Ward but two things concern me about the line:

1) I much prefer Begin down the middle. I think he plays a much better game at center than at wing.

2) None of those three players are all that great in the neutral zone. Begin and Ward are both prone to giveaways and Dowd is okay, but not spectacular.

They seem to have chemistry and a nice blend of attributes, but I question the general skill level and hockey sense. Checking lines need to excel in the neutral zone and on the forecheck... I like Bulis and Sundstrom a lot for that.

It'll be an interesting summer for sure.