View Single Post
Old
03-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester
Does it occur to you that a decade of mismanaging their NHL coverage is most likely the cause of the "pathetic television ratings?" I mean, ESPN can sell poker and bowling, yet they repel fans from hockey. What gives?
Did you read what you just posted?

Did you ever consider that it's not ESPN's fault? That there just aren't that many Hockey fans? That of the 260 million people in the US that all of them might of played poker or bowling at some point in time, but maybe 1/2 of 1% have been lucky enough to play hockey?

I think it's hysterical that people come on here and blame ESPN/Bettman for the lack of ratings. Everything that Bettman has done is in the attempt to improve the ratings. It's just not going to happen in the US though, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Also, just back on topic. ESPN's contract runs out after this season, so unless they rebid for the rights to televise the NHL games, which seems very unlikely at this point, of course NHL tonight was cancelled!

How many people here hate watching soccer (or Nascar, or baseball, or whatever)? I know you couldn't pay me to watch a soccer game, but it's the most popular game on the planet. Whose right? Me, or the 3 billion people on the planet that like soccer? Not every person is going to be a fan, and thats what the NHL has to realize.

I think that over time, the newer markets will develop a fan base if the teams are competitive. It's just going to take time, and a new CBA that allows small market teams to compete consistently.