View Single Post
Old
03-19-2004, 12:04 AM
edmontonoilers89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
Ask the Sens scouts, or anyone involved in the entire Daigle Fiasco in Ottawa about him. It wasn't just the media, it was EVERYONE (and Daigle certianly never disagreed). You can't blame this on the "media", Daigle had a boatload of talent, and withered it away. One decent season (and lets be honest, that is ALL this is), doesn't make up for that. In fact, he will be lucky to outproduce his rookie season (on one of the WORST teams ever) this year. First overall picks are NOT supposed to, under ANY circumstances play in the AHL as 28 year olds, no matter WHAT. He IS serving a useful role on the Wild, I do not disagree. But, as a first overall pick, he is a BUST, a rather LARGE bust for Ottawa, who actually made the pick, and got very little of the reward.
I'm not saying that he didn't have talent, which I agree with you and many others who say he had a boatload of it, but it's enough pressure just to make it without other sources billing him up. I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough, but when I meant media I meant the journalists as well as the fans and the scouts and everyone else. I'm not saying it's wrong to say someone is a good player, but putting pressure on them to suceed before he even hits the NHL ice I dont think is fair. I think it was the same with Lecavalier, where someone, I can't remember who, said he could be the next "great one" also, and that description wouldn't die until Lecavalier came into his own, although of no significance to be portrayed a "great one." Good yes, but great, far from it.

People criticize him for leaving the game, well, so what. This is his life, and I dont want to dig up past interviews, but he even said it himself at one point that he didnt want to play hockey. Atleast he's back and giving it another crack. Anyway, I guess this is one of those topics where we agree to disagree, where I feel potential and bust are terms used to loosely in sports.