View Single Post
Old
03-19-2004, 11:18 AM
overg

vCash: 500
Here's how I think teams earn respect among the experts and fans:

1. Win Stanley Cup. More Cups = more respect. Thus NJ, Detroit and Colorado garner a lot of respect these days, and will probably continue to have it for at least 3 more years regardless of what happens between now and then. If any adds another Cup, they'll have it even longer.

2. Fall just short in a late round matchup against a team that fits into category one. For instance, the Sens this year, San Jose at the start of last season, or even Anaheim at the start of this season.

3. Win presidents trophy. It won't get you a lot of respect in the immediate season, but teams that do this tend to be listed as favorites the following season.

4. Be one of the top half dozen regular season teams for several years running. Teams like the Flyers and Blues jump to mind here.

I'm not saying these criteria are necessarily right, just that they seem to be the one which people look to when giving respect. In a team like Tampa's case, they've basically got one playoff round victory on their resume. Until they seal the deal by either winning the President's Trophy or turning some heads in the playoffs, I think a lot of people (me included) are going to take a wait and see approach.