Old
10-15-2007, 12:11 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
I remember reading here, or some other website, that the reason they won't retire it is because they don't want to 'honor', if you will, a drunk driver. That said it is one of those, its retired but its not cases. No one will wear it, but they won't send the number into the rafters or anything because they do not want to reward his bad choice that night. But yet they do have the Pelle Lindbergh Memorial award, so i dont know. Maybe the organization really values retired numbers and holds them to a high on and off ice standard.

The book though... I'm not too sure. I remember the author or editor would occasionally pop up around here with updates. I haven't heard of anything in awhile though, but i do remember the book looked quite nice.
This came up in a recent thread about Primeau and why Dowd was wearing number 25 in camp. There are different ways of honoring people. With Primeau, it was a terrific celebration prior to the Detroit game last season. As much as we enjoyed watching him, his career didn't warrant his number retired to join Parent, Clarke, etc.

With Lindbergh, obviously a much different scenario; however, there was a very moving memorial service dedicated to his memory and the game that followed (a win against Edmonton) was bone-chilling. It was a roller coaster of emotions perhaps never equalled. At this point, I doubt we will ever see "31" officially retired in a ceremony but for all intents and purposes it is retired.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote