Thread: Lundmark....
View Single Post
Old
03-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Park #2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I think the main problem with Lundmark right now is that he doesn't seem to have much direction at even strength. Watching Lundmark at even strength and watching Lundmark on the penalty kill is like watching 2 different players. On the pk, he knows what to do and where to go and he's got some jump in his step as he does it. At even strength, he looks out of place, and I think that's because we've jerked him around so much. When we first brought him up, he started scoring right off the bat, but then we told him to concentrate on defense for a while and the goals will come later. And then we put him on Holik's wing and tried to make him a checker. I think he just doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing at even strength at this point. Is he supposed to play like a defensive forward or is he supposed to gamble and create offense?

Other young players like Tyutin, Lampman, Murray, and Balej can come up and look good because they know what they're supposed to do. They've had real coaches work with them this year, and their games are going to carry over from that even if they come into a coachless atmosphere. But Lundmark hasn't had a real coach in 2 years. All he's had recently is the practice-free "just go out there and do whatever" system. No wonder he looks lost out there.
That's a pretty lame excuse. Players know "what to do" and how to play the game - particularly players who were drafted 9th overall in the first round. By this logic - Tyutin, Lampman, Murray, and Balej would come up and be even more lost, since the players around them are playing in no system.