View Single Post
Old
10-15-2007, 01:10 PM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Briere

Pens allstar prospect. Had 44 point rookie season then in the offseason was in a car accident and put in a coma. He died a year later. They retired his number, 21. For awhile, it was just like Lindberg's number, taken out of circulation, but never given a true retirement ceremony. Then in 2000 the officially retired it.

Does Michel Briere really deserve to mentioned with Mario Lemieux?

But I do agree with you that it was a tragedy brought on to himself, and i do believe that is likely the reason why it hasn't been retired, especially since there is somewhat of a history of retiring a number if their life or playing career is cut short. Michel Breiere, Ace Bailey, Bill Barilko, etc. etc.
Different organizations have different precedents. If you want to expand that analogy, the Flyers should have considered retiring the number of Tertyshny, who also died in a tragic accident after a stellar rookie season. Simply put, the Flyers have chosen to only retire the numbers of a VERY select few members of their history. It's a sort of unwritten rule that to get your number retired you have to bring the city a cup (otherwise, Mark Howe's #2 should be hanging in the rafters.) Personally, I think it's great that they choose to honor certain players (Pelle, Primeau, Desjardins) in various ways but not actually retire their numbers, leaving that to be a truly special distinction.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote