View Single Post
Old
10-18-2007, 01:32 AM
Sandmachine

vCash: 500
The linesmen definitely should have protected Zidlicky in that instance, even though he started the whole thing by throwing a gloved punch up high on Kunitz. It is their duty to protect those players who like to start stuff but hardly ever answer for it with the gloves off. Kunitz should have taken the punch in stride by considering how few fighting majors his counterpart has had in his career.

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Anyways, I like this way of refereeing. It holds the players more accountable, I think. I remember an interview with a former referee named Paul Stewart where he basically said that....if a player was intentionally starting trouble and raising the ire of the other team, he'd more or less tell him to drop the gloves and do something about it or just shut up because he (the ref) wouldn't be protect him. Zidlicky in this case was acting as if he knew he'd be protected by the refs/linesmen eventually so it was OK to throw a punch to the chops of Kunitz. That style of play doesn't sit well with me. Pushing and shoving is one thing, but what Zidlicky did was too overly aggressive to have it considered to be one of those things that happens 9900000000 times around a net during a game. If the game were refereed and played like this, I think the level of respect between players would increase. As it is now, there is little to no accountability on the ice for gloved punches, dangerous hits, etc.

If the roles were reversed, would you really think it unfair if Zidlicky pounded on Kunitz after receiving a gloved punch to the face?

Sandmachine is offline   Reply With Quote