View Single Post
Old
10-22-2015, 02:25 PM

triggrman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
It also doesn't say a lot for the organization that we basically handed Willy a radio job despite him having zero experience with hockey play-by-play, and that they've somehow allowed it to escalate to TV. Or Fox. Whoever's decision it is.

Seriously. There's an NHL TV broadcaster whose experience with the game is learning it from scratch as an adult because his station picked up the Preds and he was hosting the pre and postgame shows so he learned hockey on the fly in his 30s. Willy is a baseball player and that's really it. He was in the Blue Jays minor league system in the 90s or something. If I was an aspiring broadcaster fighting my way through the minors with a dream of an NHL job I'd be absolutely furious.

I like Willy as a radio host personality, I really do, but him being in this role for a professional sports team is absurd. Think about the Blackhawks or Yankees pulling a guy with no experience in the sport (outside of what I mentioned earlier) to be the voice of their broadcasts.
Willy wasn't handed the job, he was shoved into it. Tom stepped down and Pete had a heartattack. That's how this started. Having said that, Willy has been part of the broadcast crew since the Predators existed.

Also, I remember talking hockey with Willy before the push for the Devils in '95, he's a former Islanders fan if I'm not mistaken and did grow up liking hockey, so he's not new to the sport. Willy was the only hockey fan that was part of of sports talk here so whenever I saw him on remotes I would always bring hockey up.

I think it's cool that Willy has risen to the place that he's in now, I do wish we had a better color guy to break stuff down more, but that's not on Willy, that's on Stu. I don't however, want to go back to here more stories from Terry.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote