View Single Post
Old
03-22-2004, 09:38 AM
2goodtimes

vCash: 500
you're kidding, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Hehe... You gotta give something up to get something good. I am offering an established NHL keeper. If you have been watching him all year, you would believe me when I say that he does have no1 clout.

For a guy who has already been drafted, a 9 goal season in the high scoring WHL... not too impressive. Frankly, I never heard of Rome although I do keep track of prospects. In The Hockey News' s yearbook, he isn't even ranked as one of the Kings top 10 prospects. I don't see any indication that he is NHL caliber.

So if you want to acquire a quality, young, cheap NHL goalie to be your no1... you better be willing to part with a good player as are we.

edit: ok, I just realized Rome is a D. So those 9 goals don't seem too shabby if I take everything into consideration. But despite having just made a more extensive backround check, I still find that Garon for Rome isn't close to fair.

Blue chip means a can't miss prospect who WILL definitly make the NHL. And be a solid player. Tambellini and Boyd don't even fit that description.
Based on HF's assessment of weakness and strengths, i don't see the point in the Habs trading Garon anyway. One of your glaring weakness's (like the Kings) is in goal. Both teams lack a "blue chip" goalie prospects, so from the standpoint of who benefits, both teams will for the mid-range to short-term of period of things, while the Habs would be getting longer service from Rome. If you have turned down a grity, two-way qaulity defensemen for a career (41 games played) backup goalie then you are obviously placing higher value on him then what he deserves. In my assessment, you are reading to much into what other people are writing about the Kings and their prospects. They clearly should be in the top 10 with their depth and skill at each position. As of late we have 2 quality goalies at the collegiate level or in Juniors that are making a case of a "blue-chip" goalie prospect. So in essence, we do not make good trade partners if your going to try an over value a backup goalie for one of our promising young D prospects.

2gt