View Single Post
Old
03-22-2004, 03:38 PM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I don't think he HAS to. Umberger has to prove that he wants to be here just as much as Sather has to sell him on the Rangers. If this is a guy who's going to half-ass it during a tryout or publically express his affection for the Pens every time someone sticks a microphone in his face, then I'm not sure this is the type of player we're looking for. The prima donna era where players get by on past accomplishments alone is over.

The guy was asked about the Pens as he is still yet unsigned and he sat out a full year to have more control over where he plays which is all well within the rules and his rights.

He didn't say he preffered the Pens but as a HOMETOWN boy he was asked about the possibility of playing there and being totally honest ANY hometown boy would answer that of course it crossed their minds so making a big deal out of this is way off.

And the kid displayed joy at having the chance to become a NYR and said he enjoyed every second of the practices and that he was eager to show the Rangers his willingness to work.

And yes, he HAS to because this kid has very substantial upside and IMO his character took a beating over him not accepting what Burke was offering which was low as I understand it.

You don't let a kid like this walk over a couple of hundred grand when you are in a spot so hungry for top end youth as we now are.