View Single Post
Old
03-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Looking back at the Lindros trade...

and I'm talking 1992, it's pretty amazing what Philly gave up. Why am I thinking about this? I'm just thinking what the #1 overall pick in this year's draft would be worth - although I have a hard time believing any GM would give this package up.

Let's look at the package once again.

It was Forsberg, the draft's 6th overall pick in 1991.
It was Ricci, the draft's fourth overall pick in 1990, ahead of Jagr, Hatcher and Tkachuk, and who at 20 years of age, had already completed two NHL seasons with at least 20 goals.
It was Kerry Huffman, an OK defenseman if I remember correctly, at 25 years of age. OK defensively, OK offensively, nothing spectacular.
It was Hextall, an NHL goalie who never was great, but wasn't horrible, except in the 1994 playoffs against the Rangers.
And finally, a first rounder, which was the 10th overall in the next season's draft which ended up being Jocelyn Thibault.

Not sure if you're going to see that type of package once again. I think GMs have learned from the past. Now, without realizing what became of all these players as well what became of Lindros, is this trade worth it for one player? Heck, let's pretend that Lindros did become what he was supposed to become...do you still give up that package?