View Single Post
Old
03-24-2004, 05:14 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Can you tell us wich prospects would you like to see the Habs draft in the 1st, 2nd(if we could have one), 3rd and 4th round? I don't no much about this year prospects so I would like to have an opinion.

***And with all the depht we have in our prospects, do you think we should go for our needs or with the best player available?***

Thanks...

Some players I would think the Habs take a look at,

1st round, Valabik- Big defensemen that plays a physical game, will drop the gloves, but very raw still. Looks like he needs to adpat to his size and the pick up the play faster. He reminds me slightly of O'Byrne but not as good of skater and maybe more physical.

1st round, Alex Picard- He's having one heck of a start to the playoffs, and has good speed, nice shot and somewhat gritty. I think there will be better choices at around 20th, but he's one I would cetain take a look at.

1st round Bruce Gramham- I have to say I haven't been that high on this guy till I spoke to the head scout of ISS who had many good things to say about Gramham. He's big and skates well, but not that physical for his size, and in the little I've seen of him he seems to be soft in his own end. Still NHL gms will jump for his size/skating as there's not many 18 year olds that big that can skate so well.

1st round Johan Fransson- Not the biggest defensemen or physical, and needs to improve his play in his own end, only from what I've read as I never seen him play about have spoken to one scout about him. Fransson has a good shot at being the SEL rookie of the year, and although he's a year older, he's considered a great skater and nice offensive upside.

1st round David Bolland- Not the biggest guy, but seems very skilled and a hard worker. I'd take a shot on him for sure, but his size is a minor concern.

1st round Drew Stafford- Don't see him opting into the draft, unless the rule is chnanged. He's got a shot at winning the National Championship in his freshman year. Plus I like his chippy game, as he has the skills and plays hard.

1st round David Booth- Depends on where we pick, as it would be a reach at 20th, as we could likely trade down to get him, but I could see him turning into a future PF, as I really like his stride, as he has a powerful skating stride and will take the body while backchecking hard, and has good offensive abilities. His foot speed is the knock against him according to one scout, but I think he's one of the better prospects in this draft that isn't talked about that much. Big, strong, put up good numbers at Michigan St. Too bad we don't have a 2nd, but I don't think he would last to 40ish.

Others like Mike Green, Adam Pineault (doubtful to opt in imo), Kyle Chipchura, just to name a few that we could be looking at in the 1st. Basicly there's a ton of quality prospects in the 1st round for us, as I could name 10 or so more that would be of interest.

In the 2nd round, I know we don't have a pick but Travis Zajac, Kyle Klubertanz (I've only seen him once but was impressed, solid all round defensemen), Paul Stasny, Ryan Garlock, Oscar Hedman, Andy Rogers, I'd be interested in. Klubertanz may fall to the 3rd, but I'd be surprised if he last to 80th or so.

In the 3rd round it gets tougher but there could be a lot of talent left. Casey Borer, Jonathan Siglet (don't think he will opt in), Oreskovich (plays in the USHL, has good size/skating, I'd be very interested in him), Jan Steber, Peter Pohl, Plyuschev (don't know too much about him though), Geoff Paukovich (i've never seen but he's got great size)

Also wanted to add one player i haven't seen but would love to see the Habs get in the mid rounds. Fredrick Naslund, he's a big LW playing the the tier-2 league in Sweden. I've talked to some in Sweden about him, and he sounds like a real sleeper pick, but his size could get him nabbed before the 2nd day.

Last edited by montreal: 03-24-2004 at 05:38 PM.