View Single Post
Old
03-25-2004, 09:15 AM
ddheyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
While I agree that Crosby will be great, let's point some things out about Wayne Gretzky.

No other player in the history of the NHL has managed to score 200+ seasons -- Wayne had THREE straight (four overall, Mario had a 199 point season once).

No one in the NHL today comes close to Jaromir Jagr's soon-to-be 13th straight 30+ goal season; a terrific feat considering the 48-game 1994-1995 season. Only five players managed 30+ goals that year -- Peter Bondra, Ray Sheppard, Owen Nolan, and Alexei Zhamnov were the other four.

Wayne had 14 straight, which included 13 straight 40+ goal seasons. 4 straight 70+ goal seasons

11 straight 100+ assist seasons.
16 straight seasons with more assists than games played.

For Crosby to beat Wayne, he'd had to average 45 goals from his rookie year at 18 until the year he turned 38 (which would put him around 900 goals). He'd had to have 99 assists for each of those 20 years as well.

To put it in perspective, last season's leading scorer was Forsberg with 106 points. The year before, it was Iginla with 96. This kid would have to AVERAGE 144 points for a 20-year career.

It's not going to happen. I don't care if Wayne says it -- this is a different era, and Sidney would be lucky to break in the top 3 all-time, let alone dethrone the Great One.
I don't think he has a shot at top 3 ... he'd have to average 100points a year for 17 years ... thats a lot of points. Hockey has changed. Maybe it will change back ... but for right now I don't see anyone having a shot at Howe or Mess.