View Single Post
Old
11-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson View Post
Why would the defense play so differently in front of Ellis? Is it strictly because he is the backup? Why have they hung Mason out to dry so often this season? I don't get it.
I don't think there is as big of a difference as everyone is making it out to be in terms of the defense's play in front of the goalie. Its more then likely just based on game conditions rather then who's in goal. If you think about it, Mason is giving up the soft goals right now. From a mindset standpoint, you would think that the team would "play harder" in front of Mason, given that he's shakey right now.

Ellis is simply making the bigger saves right now to keep his team in the game, whereas Mason is letting in a few softer goals at bad times.

I think we've also seen how it depends on matchups. I don't think Ellis could have kept us in the games against Calgary. Calgary matches up very well against us right now. They have been able to stop alot of our passes in the neutral zone and have generated tons of odd man rushes. In this case, I don't think its a case of the team playing "different" in terms of who's starting in our net. Whereas, a matchup like Florida or Vancouver might have been a win for either goalie.

We've seen this before. This is very similar to what happened with Vokoun and Mason at the end of last season.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote