View Single Post
Old
03-25-2004, 02:10 PM
L.I.RangerFan

vCash: 500
Steven McDonald Extra Effort Award

Tonight the Steven McDonald Extra Effort Award will be awarded to the Ranger that gave that extra effort game in and game out. Past winners include Adam Graves, Matt Barnaby and the Sandy McCarthy of old.

I will always have a special place in my heart for Sandy. In 2001, I voted on-line for him. Low and behold, I received a call from Rangers Public Relations Department to notify me that I was one of 5 finalist to try and win a Mitsubishi Spyder convertible. Guess what? Right out at center ice after the 1st period of a game against the Red Wings, I won the car. My kids went nuts, my daughter was right by the Zamboni entrance crying her eyes out (This was after she wanted to trip a Red Wing as they were coming off the ice ).

What was more important to me though, was meeting Steven, his wife Patti and son Connor. As a member of the law enforcement community, I respect the sacrifices that Steven and his family have made. Meeting this family will be forever etched in my mind and when I am down or meeting tough times, I think about them and realize that life could have thrown me alot more curve balls.

So, tonight while you are watching the award, whether from the garden or from your home, say a prayer for all those who each and everyday, put their lives on the line for us. The police officers, firefighters, correction officers and all other law enforcement. The soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, coasties and all other branches of the military. Say a prayer for these fine people, who have dedicated their lives to us. Say a prayer that they always return home to their families, the way they left and that no one ever has to endure what the McDonald family has endured.

Tonight it is my greatest wish that Jed Ortmeyer wins this award. Here is a kid, who went undrafted and by sheer determination, made the NHL and gave his all each and every night. Just goes to prove that sometimes scouts miss that diamond in the rough who exceeds against all odds. Jed, you deserve this award more than anyone. If you win, remember this day forever and always remember the man and family whose name grace that award.