View Single Post
Old
03-26-2004, 08:14 AM
L.I.RangerFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
As per the current CBA, all rookie contracts are 2-way contracts. That was never the sticking point because it was never an issue. Umberger has never said anything to make anyone believe that he would not play in the AHL. He wants a contract with the big club (which doesn't necessarily mean he'd play in the NHL right away) and we wants to get paid like a 16th overall pick and a Hobey Baker finalist. If Sather was not prepared to give that to him, it was stupid of him to trade for him. Grenier and a 2nd is not a good return for somethat that was so highly coveted at the deadline.

As a matter of fact, Umberger made this statement in an interview with a Pittsburgh paper:

PSR: You've had another very good year at Ohio State. What have been the most important strides you've made as a college player in the last two years?

UMBERGER: I made major improvements with my overall game and being consistent, because that's what it's going to take in the NHL. I got a little taste of that last summer in (Vancouver's prospect) camp, and I spent the week before that in Minnesota working out with some NHL players, and it's like a whole other world. That's why playing in the AHL might be the best step for me.

Here is the link to the entire interview

http://www.pghsports.com/psr0304/03040105.html