View Single Post
Old
11-07-2007, 09:35 PM
TheSandman

vCash: 500
Tips on being a good defensive forward

I have played mostly D for a while, and have recently played some shifts up front. I find that when I play D, my positioning is OK (can always be better), but as a forward I'm a little lost. On D, even if I do something wrong or jump out of position I can at least recognize it and learn from it, but for some reason I don't even have the same defensive awareness as a forward.

I just play for fun, in adult leagues and adult pickups - ice and roller. I've never played in a truly competetive environment (AAA, college, etc) and didn't grow up playing in serious leagues with coaches that teach these details and the finer points of the game. That being said, I take the game as a personal challenge and want to be the freaking best I can be, at both ends of the rink. This became more apparent when my team got eliminated by a goal in the last minute with yours truly trying to help maintain the tied game to go into OT. Sure I scored a sweet breakaway goal earlier, but what's the point, ya know??

So what can I do to improve my defensive zone awareness, and what should I do in general to improve my defensive game when playing forward?

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote