View Single Post
Old
11-09-2007, 04:38 AM
Nostradanglus

vCash: 500
Quote:
One word of advice regarding mistakes/making bad choices....

When we participate or act we can have two outcomes. Success or Mistake. When we succeed, we learn. When we make a mistake, we learn. When you fail to act, you learn nothing. Mistakes have value, provided they are not repeated, over and over. Watching others to learn the game is best done from the bench or the bleechers. When in your shift ACT.

As you learn the game you will make mistakes. As long as your learning from them and not repeating, dont worry about it and dont beat yourself up over it. Never let fear of failure or mistake prevent you from action. I just thought I would throw that out there just in case. Doubt it(Fear) applies to you but it might provide an eye opener to another reader.
Very true. Fear of failure does weigh into many actions (or lack thereof) that I make, not just in sports terms.

Quote:
If I read your description right, you're experiencing a habitual breaking of your mind-body complex. Essentially, the constant action of team sports (the fast pace of hockey in particular) causes you to drift off in a way.

For the highest level of athlete, there is no thought, just action. This is because though experience all decisions have become reflex; a complete unity of body and mind in a sense.

The specific flow of hockey causes you to drift off as you watch the play and therefore become dissociated with the action itself.

My main recommendation would be to meditate. You need to strengthen your realization of body and mind as one. I would sit comfortably in one spot with the lights off. Just close your eyes and focus on slow, deep breaths. Make sure there is nothing to distract you and just hold this position and continue breathing in and out. At the same time only think about your breath. Make it your entire focus. If you do this for around an hour it should help.

....also make sure you're getting enough sleep before the game. Sleep is some of the strongest factors in sport performance but one of the easiest to fix. Go to bed early and eat well on game days. It will help.
Wow....I wasnt expecting to see a post like this on a hockey forum, but it definitely rings very true. Its great to see hockey stereotypes broken like this.

Stilling your mind has alot to do with performance in any life situation. And you are right, the people at the highest tier of whatever they do do not have to think. They just act. In Japan, one of the biggest achievements in any martial art is 'no-dachi', which means 'no mind'. Acting through instinct and reflex is what the greats aspire to do. And you have to still your mind to achieve it.

I have always wanted to make daily time for meditation, maybe its time to ACT and not think about doing it lol.

Once again, thanks to all who have responded. It has far been very eye-opening and is a testament to a forum such as this.

Nostradanglus is offline   Reply With Quote