View Single Post
Old
03-27-2004, 09:37 AM
zurg999

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Perreault, on the 4th Ottawa goal, simply let Shawn Fricking Van Allen get by him which led to Van Allen eventually setting up Spezza seconds later. Van Allen folks! The guy is just as slow as Perreault! No wonder Perreault found himself off the first line after that one..
It looked bad, that's why I mentioned it above, and I'm sure Julien didn't miss it, but...

If there is one thing CJ has done this year it has been to not immediately punish players who have got caught standing still or made bad decisions or taken a bad penalty. This has happened too much to be incidental. Whether it be Koivu, Ribiero, Ryder, Perreault or whoever. You can almost bet the player will see time on his next shift.

You can take this one of two possible ways.

One: he has no concept of what he's doing.

Two: he realizes what should be obvious: from the beginning of the season he has had limited resources, esp. in terms of finishers. By showing faith in his players throughout the lineup he hopes it will pay off when it most counts. That is called team building.

I'm willing to bet he kept Perreault in a 3rd/4th line role for the bulk of the season not only because he wasn't producing, but to knock into him that having some guys playing only at one end of the ice is not going to get this particular team very far. I think this has paid off, because if you watch Perreault now, compared to last season, he is working much harder on defense. I have tape to prove it.

We got what we got. Perreault must play 1st or 2nd line in the playoffs, because he is a finisher. The Dagenais experiment is not over, because he too is a finisher. Unless Ward or Bulis or Dackell can start top shelfing it, we only have 3 or 4 guys with the hands.

I have faith. CJ will lead the way.