View Single Post
Old
03-28-2004, 12:02 PM
T2M

vCash: 500
If I was going to take one of them, I think it'd be Schwartz. All the mixed reviews on Montoya are concerning me and just because he won in the Gold Medal game at the WJC's (which he shouldn't have, if Canada had gotten their act together and got their heads on straight) everybody's touting him as top notch. Frankly, I don't believe in drafting a goalie in the first round unless he's ranked top 5. That means that DiPietro's, Fleury's and Blackburns are all ok, but I don't see one of those kind of goalies in this year's crop. My money is on Mike Green and/or A.J. Therien. Top notch defensemen which you can never have enough of. Since the draft is such a crapshoot and we don't have any second rounders this year, you want that first rounder to count. Drafting goalies is not a good way to get a pick to count. They're the biggest crap shoots at all. Plus, I also think that Ryan Munce is the kind of goalie who was ok at 18, will be looking like a solid pick at 20 and by 22 everybody'll think he was one of the steal's of the draft. Seems to be a consistent performer and a clutch goalie. Just because we don't have big name value at the moment, doesn't mean we don't have good goalies. When you draft a goalie, you're looking 5 years down the road. Defensemen 3, and forwards 2. That's why I'm not big on spending an important pick on a possible boom or bust goaltender. Too much risk for my liking.

T2M