Are kids under too much pressure?
View Single Post
11-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Join Date: Nov 2006
Originally Posted by
1) Have you ever participated in organized, competitive youth sports?
No (skip to question #3)
2) For how many years did you participate?
3) Do you believe that youth sports are being increasingly professionalized in their approach to the games? (emphasis on winning, as would be the case on a professional team, as opposed to fun and development. Hiring specialized coaches, etc.)
4) Do you think that adults, on average, take youth sports too seriously?
5) Please rank the following items 1st through 4th, according to what you believe to be their importance in youth sports (1st being the most important, 4th being the least.)
-Learning skills/techniques 2
-Having fun 1
-Developing teamwork skills 3
6) Have you ever witnessed or personally experienced what you would consider excessive pressure to succeed in athletics from any of the following sources? (check all that apply)
7) Please rank the following groups 1st through 5th, according to the amount of pressure you believe they place on young athletes (1 being the greatest source of pressure, 5 being the least)
-The athlete’s parents 4
-Other athletes’ parents 5
-The Media (idolizing/glamorizing of pro athletes) 3
8) Do you believe that parents and coaches should have to sign personal conduct contracts that prevent them from heckling or berating the athletes during games and practices?
9) Some sports leagues do not keep score in an attempt to create more focus on developing skills and having fun and less pressure to succeed. Do you believe that this is an effective approach?
10) Do you believe that youths who otherwise enjoy participating in sports may quit mostly because of the pressure put on them to succeed in their chosen sport?
Also for the op or whoever on a related subject Ken Dryden wrote a great essay about this called Guy Lafleur it's pretty good you might wanna check it.
View Public Profile
Nosebleed Section's albums
Find More Posts by Nosebleed Section