Are kids under too much pressure?
View Single Post
11-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Salary cap? Huh?
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
1) Have you ever participated in organized, competitive youth sports?
2) For how many years did you participate?
3) Do you believe that youth sports are being increasingly professionalized in their approach to the games? (emphasis on winning, as would be the case on a professional team, as opposed to fun and development. Hiring specialized coaches, etc.)
Different for different sports. Hockey I would say yes, all those leagues focus mainly on winning and a lot less on the fun aspect. Soccer, Basketball and baseball have a lot less competitive atmosphere in my experience.
4) Do you think that adults, on average, take youth sports too seriously?
5) Please rank the following items 1st through 4th, according to what you believe to be their importance in youth sports (1st being the most important, 4th being the least.)
1. Having fun
2. Developing teamwork skills
4. Learning skills/techniques
6) Have you ever witnessed or personally experienced what you would consider excessive pressure to succeed in athletics from any of the following sources? (check all that apply)
Parents/spectators - No
Coaches - No
Teammates - Yes
Parents/spectators - Yes
Coaches - Yes
Teammates - Yes
7) Please rank the following groups 1st through 5th, according to the amount of pressure you believe they place on young athletes (1 being the greatest source of pressure, 5 being the least)
3. The athlete’s parents
4. Other athletes’ parents
5. The Media (idolizing/glamorizing of pro athletes)
8) Do you believe that parents and coaches should have to sign personal conduct contracts that prevent them from heckling or berating the athletes during games and practices?
No, I think its part of the game.
9) Some sports leagues do not keep score in an attempt to create more focus on developing skills and having fun and less pressure to succeed. Do you believe that this is an effective approach?
10) Do you believe that youths who otherwise enjoy participating in sports may quit mostly because of the pressure put on them to succeed in their chosen sport?
View Public Profile
Visit Nizdizzle's homepage!
Find More Posts by Nizdizzle