View Single Post
Old
11-15-2007, 04:43 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
To anyone who's interested, I found a great New York Times review of a 2005 book called "The Boys of Winter" which talks about the famous 1980 Olympics from both sides - including extensive interviews of both Canadian and Russian players. I haven't read the book yet (though I desperately want to), but the review article (which you can read here) is quite interesting and funny, in itself.

Moreso than competing with other GMs for the Milt Dunnell Cup, it is finding information like this that makes me enjoy the process of hockey research so much. I got a good chuckle out of snippets from the article that talk about how the Russians were housed in what would eventually become a prison and how they left behind over a hundred empty bottles of vodka in the drop ceiling after they left.

There's some pretty engaging commentary on Tretiak in there, as well, and the bit at the end about Vasiliev grabbing Tikhonov by the neck and saying, "I will kill you right now," is also pretty amusing.

When all is said and done, I do this stuff because I love hockey, not because I want to imagine my imaginary team drinking from an imaginary cup at season's end. I apologize to any of you who I may have aggravated by taking myself too seriously. We are, at times, as much a debate club as a group of hockey fans, which I guess a good way to dig truth up where it lies and to honor the players, but often enough, I'd rather just be a fan.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote