Thread: Alfie Signed
View Single Post
Old
03-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Hossa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens
I can partially understand not moving Alfredsson, as he was drafted as a RW, is a RH shot and already plays 'out of position' on the PP point. The one that puzzles me a bit more is Hossa, who was actually originally listed as a LW as a prospect, and is a LH shot (like Havlat is).

Now, due to the c-rw pairings Martin usually prefers, the LW spot (as we see most nights) is typically reserved for the more defensively responsible players (Schaefer, Smolinski, Fisher, Varada, Vermette, etc), so placing a more aggressive forward in that slot is more of an anomaly designed to spark offense in the short run only, more than a bona fide experiment in terms of long-term feasibility. In this sense, moving Havlat from the 3rd line RW to the 2nd line LW is less of a team disruption than also moving Hossa from 2nd line RW to 2nd line LW.

Of course, from my standpoint a little team disruption is far from a bad thing.

The whole situation probably speaks more to Martin's lack of seriousness about it as a possible line combination than anything else.
Moving Hossa to left wing would minize his effectiveness. THink of how often he fights off a defenceman with his left hand keeping the puck controlled on his right side with one hand on the stick. That major aspect of his game would be taken away on the left wing.