View Single Post
Old
11-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
Great news for Bishop next year. Hope he steps up to the challenge if he gets the chance.

Irish, you still think Barulin doesn't come over...even after the Blues losing 2 goalies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
Barulin will come over if we guarantee him a spot on the NHL roster with a 1 way contract. So you do the math.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I highly doubt Barulin comes over here as well...but I just wonder if losing 2 goalies in our system would even make Barulin think about. That's all I was asking.
Zaphod partially answered this. Unless he drops the, "guarantee me a spot" stance he had pre-lockout, no ... I don't think he'll come over. Russian teams won't be able to use foreign goalies starting in 2008-09 [or they'll be severely limited], which will open up more room for the native netminders. Barulin has talent, he's going to be in demand - and he's going to make good money as a result ... and it's all tax-free.

Take a virtually guaranteed tax-free $1 million in Russia for the next 10 years and be the #1 guy in net, or come to North America and have to ride the bus around the AHL making $70,300 for a year and maybe get a shot at the NHL with your salary capped at $900,600 for the first 3 years - and having to pay taxes on all of it? Hmmm ... not a difficult decision.