View Single Post
Old
03-30-2004, 01:41 PM
sigepcsun

vCash: 500
I like Andy Murray, but I often wonder about certain things that I feel are holding back this franchise.

I think we all agree that without injuries this team would be ultra-competitive, I hesitate to say stanley cup bound because I believe there is a fundamental weakness in our goaltending. I am a firm believer that goaltending either riding a hot goalie or playing a proven skilled goalie wins you those championships...we do not have that. Not AM's fault, however there were things that could have been addressed to help this situation. An emphasis on the development on the PK being one.

I question the creation of lines, and choices of personnel dressed and scratched. Knowing full well your team is going to need 3-4 goals a game you need to find a way to create a "GO TO LINE" AM continually spreads out talent in the hopes that some chemistry will develop, unfortunately timing and positioning were off so frequently we got burned by poor passes and poor decisions.

THERE IS NO ONE HERE WHO CAN TELL ME THAT THEY WOULD RATHER SEE TRIPP, chartrand, etc. IN THE LINEUP THAN FROLOV.
When you scratch your most responsible defensive forward (at times) and your most creative and gifted offensive player what kind of message does that send. Especially when that player is 21 y.o.

When players struggled this year MODRY, EBEL, mmm MODRY and EBEL, why weren't they given a night or two off to reset themselves...it seemed to work for LUC.

All in all our specialty teams need to be fixed, we had no business making the playoffs with our PK an PP as horrid as they were. Find a way to fix it!

Things that need to be fixed or figured out.
-why the injuries? system, personnel, bad luck, all of the above
-Power play? shoot the puck please
-Why can't we clear the puck out of the freakin zone?
-Penalty Kill? how does it go from one of the best 3 years ago to one of the worst these last two years.
-Goaltending? it sucks..i can appreciate Huet's efforts, he is a serviceable backup. Both goalies where the heck is the BIG SAVE!!! How many times did our boys claw back only to seconds or minutes later give up a momentum killer, and deflate any confidence this team had.

THINGS THAT ARE IMPROVING
-our youth movement is impresive, with alittle time our boys should compete ans succeed, kudos to Gleason, Brown for their efforts, I would have liked to have seen Brown all year. Frolov showed he is ready!!
-Avery shows flashes of Maturity, not something I would have said at the begin of the year
-Pirnes in 2-3 years could become a 10-15 goal scorer and a top defensive forward
-Lappy's heart...love it, someone who loves the game and lets everyone know it!

BOTTOM LINE AM's efforts to keep this ship afloat for so long were remarkable, however I believe in the end that Captain Andy oversteered and ran this ship aground.
Another broken heart.

Great comments all year everyone!!! You guys rock!!!