Thread: Refereeing Tips
View Single Post
Old
11-23-2007, 06:28 AM
krax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
For referees at the minor hockey level (as high as Midget AAA), who are restricted in their offensive zone positioning, I disagree with you.
I am not familiar with refereeing in minor leagues in Canada/US. I used to be a ref in Switzerland. Reffed at top level, but of course had to go through the minors first. 2-man system in the minors. One guy near the net, the other just outside the blue-line. Is it any different where you ref?

Quote:
For linesmen, I strongly disagree that players shouldn't have to pay attention to where they are. By the time you play Bantam hockey at 13 years of age, you should know where the linesmen have to be.
Of course they should and it's nice if players try to avoid the LM, but they have other things to worry about first.

Quote:
9 times out of 10 (as a referee or linesman), I'm going to say nothing regardless, unless it's coming towards my head. If a player tells me to get the **** out of the way, I am either going to say something back or ensure you get a penalty for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (not necessarily for the puck, but for telling me to get out of the way after you rocket a puck in my direction). You will see the same behaviour out of most officials.
Agree on the fact that if a player yells at you in an inappropriate way he should go to the box. But again, you're supposed not to touch the puck. Most of the time, players will be pissed off if they are not able to clear the puck because of the ref. A small "sorry, couldn't avoid it" or "try to put it that way next time" from the ref works wonder. Communication is everything.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote