Thread: The Captain
View Single Post
Old
04-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Rangers94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I had a tear in my eye last night (and this morning when I saw the paper). And heck, at 43, Mess can still rise to the occasion, scoring a goal! And you know he's gotta be in a lot of pain, and who knows what type of pain he played through the last several years. If this is indeed his last, he will sorely be missed. And how touching was it for Leetch's parents to be present at the game. Man, getting old's tough.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that Mess' numbers will hang from the rafters. He's one of the most popular Rangers, and one of the more celebrated NY athletes in the last few decades. 'He' brought the Cup to New York for the first time in 54 years. He played here for about 10 seasons. His numbers are up there, even though he wasn't a career Ranger. His status in hockey isn't too far off TGO's, and he deserves to have his number hanging from those rafters.

The #9 should too, but not just for Adam Graves.
what about the oilers? would they retire Mess' number considering that him and Wayne were pretty much the main reason for their success (although they were helped by Lowe, Esa, etc...)