12-06-2007, 08:09 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Feeding the sterotype

Sunday, 12/02/07

Dierks Bentley puts Tuesday's No. 1 party on ice

By BEVERLY KEEL

Did you hear about Dierks Bentley's No. 1 party where a hockey game broke out?

It's going to happen Tuesday at Sommet Center to celebrate "Free and Easy," his fifth No. 1 hit.

"I think every number one you get, you have more respect for it because it's hard to get them," Dierks says. "I want to make sure we always do something special to celebrate it. This one is a special song because I wrote it with some of the guys in the band, and they played on the record."

His engineer, Luke Wooten, suggested that this invitation-only party be dubbed "one for the thumb," a sports term describing a fifth championship ring. "I thought, 'If we are going to make it sports-themed, I wonder if we can do it at the Sommet Center. Heck, if it's going to cost that much to rent it out, I might as well get something out of it for me.' "

Dierks is not only a huge hockey fan but also a frequent player. So after the party, there will be a game between the two hockey teams on which Dierks regularly plays The Centennial Iceholes and the Southern Ice Rogue Rats.

"There'll be free beer and number-one foam fingers," Dierks says. "It won't be the same level of ability as the Predators, but the ticket price is better and there'll be lots of comedy."

Dierks wanted to open the event to the public, but he was prohibited by staffing and other issues. He will play on both teams. "It's time to let the world know what a fantastic hockey player I am," jokes Dierks, who likes to play left wing. "It's my Sommet Center ice hockey debut, like my Grand Ole Opry debut."

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote