View Single Post
Old
04-04-2004, 06:18 PM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982
If we were sitting at number 5 in the draft I wouldn't mind grabbing Sami Lepisto. He was supposed to be a top pick last year but failed to opt into the draft. This year he has only raised his stock. He's been playing in the SM Liga for jokerit and despite his limited offensive output he has been solid. At the WJC's he performed very well, second on the team in points, and led all d-men in the WJC's (also awarded best defenseman of the tourney), with 8 in 7 games and also a +10. Next closest on his team in +/- was a +6. The biggest knock against him seems to be that he is only 6'0. So if we miss out on Malkin and Olesz I wouldn't mind picking up another, possibly, stud defenseman prospect. Barker is another guy I wouldn't mind taking, he could really be a stud. I think that after Malkin, Olesz, and Ovechkin the best prospects available where the Rangers will be drafting might be defensemen.
Sami Lepisto with the #5 pick? From all I've read, he's slated to go late 1st round/early 2nd. If he's still on the board with our first pick in the 2nd round, I'd be more than happy to get him. But theres no way he goes any lower than 15.

Assuming we stay at #6, I doubt Barker falls that high. Ovechkin, Malkin and Olesz will be gone. Our only hope for Barker is if the 4 and 5 teams are high enough on Ladd and Schremp to risk passing on Barker. And honestly, I'd rather get a forward (Schremp or Ladd) with our 1st pick and focus on defense later. There's a bunch of defensemen slated to go mid-1st round into 2nd round this year (Thelan, Green, Valabik, O'Neil, Green, Meszaros, Lepisto just to name a few).