View Single Post
Old
12-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Fraserburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Legwand is a great comparison for Wilson, but therein lies in the problem. The Preds, and fans can correct me if I'm wrong, need a dynamic scoring forward- NOT another two-way center.

I don't agree. LA's top six looks like this:

Cammalleri-Kopitar-Brown
Frolov-O'Sullivan-Rotating

They have Tukonen, Moller, Boyle, Purcell and others who will eventually challenge for that winger spot.

Meanwhile, on D, you're right- Hickey and JJ are studs. And Visnovsky is already one. But that's it. Everyone else has borderline top four potential. I personally would much rather have Visnovksy-Hamhuis JJ-Doughty/Pietrangelo than have to force Patrick O'Sullivan to the third or fourth line.

You might suggest trading Frolov or O'Sullivan to make room, but that doesn't make sense either. The return for either forward would be almost assuredly less than a potential franchise rearguard. It's just not good asset management.
I'm personally of the mind that O'Sullivan is not only overrated, but has serious attitude problems and doesnt have much potential at this level so Its not so much "Forcing" him to the 3rd line in my mind but that he's likely destined to be there in the first place.

Having Visnovsky Johnson Hickey anchoring your D-core thats pretty much all a team should alocate to Defense if you want to have a dynamic offense. LA will have trouble fitting any more D-men under the NHL cap let alone their owner imposed cap.

Look at what Anaheim did last year. They had Pronger/Niedermeyer (yes 2 Norris calibre d-men, but i think my argument still applies) they trotted out Beauchemin, O'Donnell, Huskins & Dipenta

2 Studs and 4 hard workers.

You also lose the high end forwards to free agency more often than you do with your Defense.

I see your point though and its been said before that when you're drafting this high on the board there really is no wrong answer (Daigle ) I'm just of the opinion that it behooves a team going through a mini reload like the Preds have to do thanks to their ownership struggles this past off season to keep as many draft picks as they can even if it means they get another Franchise D-man instead of a forward. You can always poach a established forward from Free Agency in the summer

OF course it might make sense to keep an eye on how Jon Blum does in the World Juniors next week. If he outplays a guy like Doughty then maybe you do make your move....Its somethin I need to put more thought into

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote