View Single Post
Old
04-05-2004, 09:26 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I'd say he has a role on this team in the playoffs. I would sooner play Langdon than Dackell, Juneau or Perreault.

I have two concerns with Langdon playing:

1) he's unable to carry the puck. While he can freeze it along the boards and do some cycling, he's fairly limited still. He's not overly helpful in a grind line capacity which is what I'd want from the fourth line (hopefully with Begin and Ward). With that said, none of the healthy scratches are any more capable than Langdon in a grind line role.

2) Tough guys get penalties that regular players would not. That comes with the territory. Langdon hits a player and it's from the side, they'll call it hitting from behind or boarding. Koivu does the same hit and it's a good clean check. We've seen this countless number of times where Langdon's cleanly hit an opponent and gets a penalty for it, so it is something to be aware of.

I agree except playing Langdon over Juneau. I think Juneau can be more effective, as he has the smarts and good wheels to help on the PK and in a reduced checking role. I think Langdon is needed in the lineup for his leadership role as well. Langdon from what I hear is very good in the locker room and if things get out of hand, it would be good to have him on the bench. Plus he can take the body which we'll need, but I wonder if Julien will dress him or not.