Thread: 2nd PP unit
View Single Post
Old
04-06-2004, 02:24 AM
The Big Rig

vCash: 500
I like Chara on the point on the second unit. I see the second powerplay unit looking like this:

Spezza - Fisher - White/Smolinski
Bondra - Chara

As you said, Chara's shot is damn near amazing now and with him and Bondra back on the points you have two really good shots. Fisher is able to battle in front of the net for rebounds, Spezza can run the powerplay from the side boards, and White/Smolinski are able to get open for a shot or to cycle the puck.

I find that because of Chara's size and strength, while nobody can move him from the front of the net, he seems to take penalties battling with opposing defencemen as he just overpowers them and knocks them around. I find Fisher can be nearly as effective battling in front of the net and instead of taking penalties, he has the ability to draw penalties with his relentless hard work and determination.

As well, you have the choice of 3 centermen to take the draw, depending on who is doing well against a particular opposing center, or on what side of the ice the draw is taking place.

However, the option of putting Chara in front of the net is always there and can be used at any time in situations where a change in strategy is needed, or we desperately need a goal. In these situations however, I think I'd rather put Chara in Havlat's spot on the first powerplay unit and move Havlat down to the second unit to work with Spezza, just to balance out the attack a little, and because Havlat is usually just parked in front of the net anyways.

Last edited by The Big Rig: 04-06-2004 at 02:30 AM.