04-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Bruin_Ron

vCash: 500
Thornton: Looking Promising!

from bostonbruins.com

Daily Scoop

By Brian J. Scully
BostonBruins.com

BOSTON Joe Thornton practiced with the team on Tuesday at the FleetCenter, but his status for Wednesday's Game 1 will not be determined until game time.

"How did I know that question was going to be asked," said coach Mike Sullivan, when asked about Thornton's status, drawing a laugh from the 50-plus members of the media in attendance. "He's doing OK. We'll make a decision tomorrow. He looked pretty good to me."

Thornton also spoke with the media following the Bruins' final warm-up before Wednesday's game day.

"We'll see tomorrow," said Thornton. "It *felt good today. We'll see tomorrow."

"I felt pretty good out there, so we'll see how it reacts tomorrow. I feel a lot better. The trainers did a really good job on me."

Thornton said that he is thrilled to be a part of another Boston-Montreal series.

"We're excited to play these guys," said Thornton. "Any time you play Montreal, there's a good atmosphere. It's a big rivalry. And we're excited about it.

"We had a good team there two years ago and they beat us pretty good. So, hopefully we can come out better prepared than two years ago."

Regardless of the decision on Thornton, Sullivan is confident in the team that he will be putting on the ice.

"Obviously, Joe's a big part of this team," said Sullivan. "We're a much better team when he's in our lineup. But regardless of whether he is in or he is out, we have capable people that we know and we believe in, that can get the job done."

Big media day

There's no bigger rivalry in hockey than Boston-Montreal, and the history of the match-up is not lost on the current edition of the Bruins.

"We're obviously excited to have the opportunity to compete," said Sullivan. "We feel like we have a good group. I think the players, as well as the coaching staff, are ready to compete."

Once the playoffs arrive, the challenge only increases, according to Sullivan.

"Starting from here on, every team is a real good team," said Sullivan. "The isn't that big of a margin between opposing teams. We know that and we know that it is going to be a big challenge."

* I don't know if he was very careful with what he was saying, but "it" would mean his wrist is bugging him.. whereas ribs would be "they". Anyway.. looking too deep into this but great news nonetheless