View Single Post
Old
04-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Laches

vCash: 500
I don't think any of us really knows the whole story with Ted Nolan. There are rumors and speculation, but the whole thing is still somewhat mysterious. I think he'd be something of a risk at this point. He's been out of the NHL for a while, could he step right back in and be successful?

A couple of things have really hurt Ted Nolan. One is his own overly selective approach to job-hunting. He turned down the Tampa job, he turned down an assistant's job with the Isles. NHL coaching isn't a profession where you can sit around and wait for the perfect job to come along, you've gotta take what you're offered and do what you can with it. Also, while he did have some success in Buffalo, and his players (except Hasek) spoke highly of him, I think Lindy Ruff's success right after Nolan left made a lot of people start to think that maybe Nolan wasn't such a miracle-worker after all.

I think the best thing would be to have him in Hartford, or maybe to hire him as an assistant under a more experience head coach, who would then sorta groom him for the job.