View Single Post
12-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Top Corner2
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
Curious. Which list would that be? Nothing in my book, nothing I wrote.

I don't buy rankings like that. Teams' draft performances can be analyzed somewhat. One scouting director, a friend not in Columbus' organization, spent months doing a team-by-team breakdown of drafts from 2000-2007. And, he says he figures that you can only conclusively and fully evaluate the 2000 and 2001 drafts because the players since are still evolving/developing. His bottom line: You can only evaluate a draft by comparing the players in their prime, not at stages along the way. Further there's the question of development. Example: Have the Sabres done a better job drafting players or developing the players they drafted? Chicken-egg prop. If I were starting a scouting staff my first hire might be Randy Cunneyworth, Buffalo's coach in the A.
Maybe it wasn't a list...something I thought I read on your blog when you were talking about Toronto's drafting...probably what you just mentioned

Definitely two excellent points about ranking drafts....something many of us forget around here....getting there quicker doesn't mean you're going to have a better career. In fact I think some teams reduce players potential by rushing them in.

Randy & the Amerks are having a harder time year....

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote