View Single Post
Old
04-08-2004, 05:01 AM
Flyman

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereign_funk
I have a different view than that on the Flyers drafts. I look at the wasted opportunity to take some good players. In addition, I don't consider players like Colin Forbes, Paul Healey, or Boulerice NHL calibre players they were terrible wastes of picks. In addition, Colin Shields is a good college scorer, but if he is another Jim Montgomery we will be lucky. Lefebvre had 4 goals and 12 assists in 62 games for the Scranton WB Penguins, hardly a good pick. Drozdetsky will never come over to the US to even play for the Phantoms he isn't big or tough enough, how long does it take for this man to develop. Selivanov didn't have a very long career in the NHL. It lasted from 95-00. Niinimaa was not a great pick at #36 of 1993 when they could have taken Brendan Morrison #39, Bryan McCabe #40, or even Kevin Weekes #41. Eric Daze was taken at #90 after Prospal #71. In 1994, they took Artem Anisimov #62, while Frederick Modin #64, Sheldon Souray #71, Chris Drury #72, and Milan Hejduk #87 were available. Marty Turco was taken #124 after our all-star picks of
Artem Anisimov #62, Adam Magarrell #88, and Sebastien Vallee #101. In 1996, Chester Gallant went right before Oleg Kvasha. Roman Malov #187 preceded Tomas Kaberle 204#. In 1997, Kris Mallette 62# preceded Maxim Afinogenov #69. Also Ladislav Nagy 177# was picked after stellar picks of Jean-Marc Pelletier #30, Pat Kavanagh #50, Kris Mallette #62, Mikhail Chernov #103, Jordon Flodell #158, and Todd Fedoruk 164#. In 1998, Brad Richards #64 went after Jason Beckett #42 and Ian Forbes #51. Pavel Datsyuk went #171 after Jean - Philippe Morin #109, Francis Belanger #124, and Garrett Prosofsky #139. Michael Ryder #216 was drafted after Cam Ondrik #175, and Tomas Divisek #195. In 1999 Martin Havlat was drafted 26# after the Flyers took Maxim Ouellet with #22. Henrik Zetterberg #210 went after future HOFs Jeff Feniak #119, Konstantin Rudenko #160 ,Pavel Kasparik #200, Vaclav Pletka #208. In 2000, the Flyers picked Justin Williams. In 2003-2004, he finished with an amazing 11 goals in 76 games, not worthy of a #28 pick. John Michael Liles #159 went after Justin and had one fewer goal as a dman. I truly don't put to much stock into the Hockey News as a reliable source for hockey information anymore. Now I know that this is after the fact; however, the Flyers scouting department is awful to be missing on this many players. Other teams made mistakes and passed on the players as well, but the Flyers track record is second rate. Hammerstrom got one good pick for us and he is playing in Colorado.
Nice list buddy but it always easier to say a posteriori who we should have taken! You can re-write History acting like that. The staff at that time chose with the elements they had. Datsyuk went #171, and Philly made an error not selecting him? Oh well...so I guess 28 others teams made the same error. Not many scouts could have predicted what Dats will become.
You just can't name so many guys and say : "theys hould have pick this guy, not this". Too easy...