View Single Post
Old
04-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One
Stats don't lie... much. He obviously never was a true first line center, but he was still our most productive, dependable player on offense for a year and a half. To say he was dragging down his linemates is simply untrue. Even this year he has produced when called upon, which is more than can be said for Mr. Kovalev. If his name was Audette, Dagenais, Perreault or Czerkawski people around here would be calling for a lynching, not for him to be moved to the first line.
That was a depleted offensive team back then. I felt he was a miserable player then as well. He's simply too deficient in too many aspects of the game to be a player you want on a playoff calibre club. On a rebuilding team he's okay as he'll put some points on the board.

I don't think Perreault has produced when called upon. If he did then he wouldn't have been moved off the first line. Nor would he have been beaten out of a scoring line role. Basically, his deficiencies caught up with him and as Montreal improved its depth, Perreault found himself in the press box. I think that speaks volumes about Perreault's all-around game.

The biggest problem for Montreal last night was puck support, in my opinion. This has always been one of Perreault's biggest flaws and it was again last night when Kovalev was left out to dry on many shifts. Perreault wasn't the only player struggling in this capacity by any means, but it's one of several reasons I wouldn't dress him next game.